Incentives such as giveaways, competitions or sweepstakes can be a powerful way to engage Storytellers and their audiences with your Linqia Campaign. Not only do they allow Storytellers to experience your product first hand, they can also generate increased interest and engagement amongst their audience.
There are a few things to take into consideration before moving forward with an incentive.
Consideration 1: Relevance
First things first, is the incentive relevant to your campaign and the audience you are reaching out to? It is important to put yourself in both the Storyteller and their audiences shoes before getting excited about your incentive. At Linqia, our mission is to create a seamless experience for both Storytellers and their audiences and in some cases more (i.e. an irrelevant incentive) is not always more. Your incentive should be related to your campaign and benefit not only the overall campaign success, but also the Storytellers and their audiences.
Consideration 2: Your Purpose
Determine your overall purpose and goal for the incentive. What are you trying to accomplish? Are you promoting a new product? Are you encouraging traffic to a particular landing page? Knowing your purpose prior to establishing the incentive will help with all aspects throughout your campaign. We can help determine your incentive goals prior to your campaign launch.
Consideration 3: Rules & Regulations
With every successful incentive there should be a set of rules or guidelines for Storytellers and their audiences to follow. In addition to rules or guidelines about the incentive itself, all Storytellers must clearly site disclosure in their stories (This post was sponsored by Brand but the opinions are all my own) and social posts (#sp, #sponsored, #ad) once the incentive has begun. Consider the following:
• When does the giveaway, competition or sweepstake start?
• What is the duration?
• Who can enter? Is this incentive limited to the United States or is it open to participants in Canada?
• Who is hosting the incentive? Will you, the brand, host the incentive or are you looking for the Storytellers to self-host the giveaway, competition or sweepstake? You will need to consider shipping logistics. With a brand-hosted incentive you are in control of your prizes. Your Linqia Customer Success Manager will gather winners shipping addresses at the end of the incentive and send them via email so you can ship directly to the winners. This way, you ensure the date that winners will receive their prizes. In Self-hosted incentives, you, the brand, ships prizes directly to Storytellers prior to the start of the incentive. It is then the Storytellers responsibility to ship the winner product at the end of the campaign. How will the participant enter the incentive?
• How will the participant enter the incentive? Will you create a landing page for participants to enter or is there an alternative method for entering such as commenting or share via social media? Note, Storytellers may utilize an incentive widget such as Rafflecopter when self-hosting incentives. This widget allows the Storyteller to randomly select a winner based on actions that the Storyteller has predetermined. These actions can be anything from liking a particular page, commenting on a blog story or sharing a particular piece of content on a social channel. We recommend working with Storytellers, and providing detailed instructions around Rafflecopter so it not only benefits the Storyteller but you as well. Your Linqia Customer Success Manager can provide more information about Rafflecopter and how to use this widget to your advantage.
• When will a winner/winners be selected?
• How will a winner/ winners be selected? The answer to this question will be clear once you have decided if you are hosting the incentive (Brand hosted) or if you are allowing Storytellers to self-host the incentive.
• Who will pick the winner/winners?
• Who will be shipping/ distributing the prize?
• Will the shipping budget be taken out of the performance budget for the campaign?
• When do the prizes need to be shipped by?
Consideration 4: Specific Rules and Regulations by Social Media Channel
Each social media channel has specific rules and regulations when it comes to hosting and promoting a giveaway through their individual site. These rules and regulations should be taken into consideration during the planning phase. Consider the following:
1. Facebook Incentives
• Must include a complete release of Facebook by each entrant or participant
• Must acknowledge that the promotion is no way affiliated or sponsored by Facebook
• Disclose (#ad, #sp,#spon, #sponsored)
• Must not use Facebook features or functions as the entry for the incentive
• Must not notify winners through Facebook
• A full list of rules and regulations can be found here
2. Twitter Incentives
• Must discourage the creation of multiple accounts
• Must discourage posting the same Tweet repeatedly
• Should ask users to include an @reply to you [Brand] in their update so you can see all entries
• Must follow the Twitter Rules, which can be found here
3. Pinterest Incentives
• Must acknowledge that the promotion is no way affiliated or sponsored by Pinterest
• Must not use each pin, board, like or follow to represent an entry
• Must not include the language “Pin it to win it”
• A complete list of Pinterest rules and regulations can be found here
4. Instagram Incentives
• Must not inaccurately tag content or encourage users to inaccurately tag content (i.e. encouraging people to tag themselves in photos that they are not in)
• Must include a complete release of Instagram by each entrant or participant
• Must acknowledge that the promotion is no way affiliated or sponsored by Instagram
• A complete list of Instagram’s rules and regulations can be found here
5. Tumblr Incentives
• Must fully disclose all of the giveaway’s rules
• Must acknowledge that the promotion is no way affiliated or sponsored by Tumblr
• Must only allow entry by individuals 18 + years of age
• Must only direct and open your incentive to people who live in your country
• Must not use Tumblr’s social features as entry methods
• A complete list of Tumblr’s rules and regulations can be found here
You have now successfully planned for your incentive.
You can also show support for participating Storytellers and their audiences by sharing any standout entries on your social media channels and showcasing the winner!
Your Linqia Customer Success Manager will be there throughout the process to talk through any details or help with the planning. They will also answer any questions Storytellers may have throughout the duration of the incentive.
And that’s it; you have successfully planned and executed an incentive for your Linqia campaign!